A 2007 study by T Center for Health Design examined the role nature plays in the healthcare environment. Citing research by Ulrich, it states the use of plants and natural elements reduces stress, supports pain management and promotes an overall sense of well-being.
- Workers in plant-friendly environments miss fewer days of work and experience less job stress.
- Plants help reduce the level of many common indoor air-borne impurities or volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These toxins are a common cause of sick building syndrome.
- Plants enhanced creative problem-solving skills among men and women.
- Plants help reduces noise levels, decrease temperature and lower humidity.
- A view of plants increases positive feelings and reduces stress, fear and anger.